Monday 10 October 2011

"Personal Media Day" - Analysis & Summary of the week

During one week's time from Monday 3rd October to Sunday 9th October I wrote this blog (diary) about my daily media consumption. This was done as an assignment in "The Social Web" course at Åbo Akademi University.

My analysis of the week gives at hand the following findings / patterns:

Media platforms: I prefer to read news and news related articles on my iPad; the tablet is the most convenient form for reading at home and when mobile for me personally. At university I tend to read news on the Web, as I have a large Cinema screen connected to my MacBook Air. Occasionally I read quick headlines on my iPhone, when on the move. Newspapers and printed magazines are mainly read at home in the evening and during weekends. I most definitely prefer a printed book for bedtime reading. It's more relaxing than reading on a screen, at least for my taste. 

TV and radio are less important for me personally, although I subscribe to Canal+ in order to watch sports events. Music is a big part of my life, both at home and on the go. I carry most of my music with me on the iPhone and iPad, although I occasionally use Spotify as well. Films are easy to download from iTunes on Apple TV, which is easier and less expensive than renting a DVD.

WHAT media: I have a taste for media that I subscribe to, i.e. pay for the content whether it's on the iPad or printed. This is because I prefer to read well edited articles from sources I trust. The media brand is important to me. Right now I subscribe to five daily news sources i.e. Helsingin Sanomat, Turun Sanomat, Hufvudstadsbladet (on Sundays and on the iPad), Åbo Underrättelser and The Times (Times+ digital subscription includes The Sunday Times and its supplements). Websites I regularly visit for business and media news include FT.com, The Guardian, NYT, Kauppalehti.fi, Markkinointi & Mainonta and Talouselama.fi. 


Magazines that I like to read and subscribe to include National Geographic and Wired (previously print subscriptions, now on the iPad) as well as Talouselämä (currently available in print and on the Web) and Tekniikan Maailma (in print and on the iPad). In our family we also subscribe to some other print magazines (women's magazines, hobby related magazines) by the other family members, I occasionally read some of them.




Social media networks also interest me, mainly to follow what interesting topics I can find that are relevant for my research about media and interesting new business concepts / business models. Here Google+, LinkedIn and Twitter are the best sources for shared / recommended information and discussions about a relevant topic. Facebook is somewhat more "private" for me, sharing information and updates with friends and people I know from other fields of life. 


The best Website to follow news on social media and tech related issues is Mashable, available on the web and also as an App on the iPad. For music lovers Groovebug is a cool new App, integrating music with wiki information and video clips from YouTube. Flipboard makes your content look like a magazine, whether it's a news site, or your Facebook and Twitter accounts.



HOW long: My daily media consumption tends to be quite high, from 1 hour 30 mins to 2 hours during weekdays, and up to 3 hours a day or more during weekends. I enjoy reading and much prefer it to watching TV. I don't spend a lot of time on social media on a daily basis, my use of social media is more quick glimpses and updates of what's happening - maybe 15-20 mins per day. Sometimes 30 minutes a day.

When something BIG or dramatic happens, as Apple's charismatic leader Steve Jobs passing away during the week - my media consumption tends to peak as I am interested to read more about the background of the news. Hence, midweek was exceptional in my media consumption.

WHY: I follow media to learn about what's going on the world. I also follow media to see what people in my peer group think is important. Hence, sharing links and recommendations in social media tend to become more important for me personally. I find sharing and recommendations useful both from a personal point of view and from a research perspective.

The writing of this blog has been a useful experience. I look forward to learning about how other students attending "The Social Web" classes are using media.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have an idea or a comment - please give me your feedback!